Halloween is coming. Along with a deluge of Halloween promotions. So, should you sit out this occasion, because “everyone” will be doing one, and your good idea may be lost in the noise? Or should you go ahead and do a tie-in of your own, even if it is not the freshest, most creative promotion of them all?
Actually, this question is relevant to all promotable events, from President’s Day to my birthday. And my answer is…(A) If you feel comfortable with your concept and the cost, go ahead. (B) If you decide to wait for the ideal, unique, Halloween promotion idea, well, I hope it works for Christmas also, because that may be how long it takes you to devise a perfect solution. (Yep, I’m with “A.”)
Let’s take a look at one recent good Halloween idea, from Chipotle, that triggered this blog in the first place.
- Boorito: Reasonable “burrito” pun for Halloween.
- Simple: “This Halloween, come into any Chipotle dressed in a costume…and you’ll score a $2 burrito.”
- Actual offer is actually better. Instead of an asterisk that taketh away, as is often the case, this one offers not just a reduced price burrito, but also a choice of bowl, salad or tacos.
- Charity tie-in. Proceeds from this promotion, up to $1 million, go to the Chipotle Cultivate Foundation.
- Contest. Take a photo in your costume inside or in front of Chipotle and win a prize.
- Appropriate for the brand. Fun. Easy. Enjoyable.
I am not suggesting that your promotion needs to have all the elements that this does. But you can see how despite all its components, it is still uncomplicated and appealing. And that’s more than enough to strive for.